Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Fight is now in the Flight

Recently I was travelling by air from New Delhi Airport,in one of the airlines that promises to offer you business class service at economy prices.Little do you know that at the counter,they ask if you want to upgrade to Business class for an additional fee.As usual,the flight was delayed by 90 minutes,but the crew were happy to announce a complimentary drink at the counter ( pls note,complimentary drink refers to Tea or Coffee only).

While wiling away my time at the airport,I saw a big ad of another airline in the local newspaper.I couldnt help laughing at that ad.


Why wouldnt I?The airlines boasts of itself as the best on time performance.I travelled by that flight 5 times in last 2 months and it was never on time.( Ok Ok..it maybe that everytime i flew,the airline had a problem..so its "why me syndrome").

Then comes the bigger joke.For them,every passenger is a millionaire!I would say thats why they have the higher rates on the same routes :)

They also asks about someone who flew that airline this winter..Ask me..because I flew that airline this winter.I couldnt get a taxi to reach the airport due to the fog.But I thought why hurry,the flight would be delayed.To my utter surprise,the customer care told me that the flight is on time..that too at 6.30 am in the morning in the foggy foggy delhi weather.After a desperate struggle I reached the airport on time and was surprised that the flight is actually on time.My respect for the airline reached the skies.After the boarding complete announcement,the captain said that visibility is 125 metres and as per norms it should be 150 ms.He was confident that we would be airborne in 20 mins and promised an update shortly.The time was 6.45 am and anyone in delhi knows that fog thickens with time.And the captain did get back to us ..after a long 3 hours.His message" I am happy that visibility improved and we will be airborne in 30 mins".Phew...I was caught in the flight for long 3 hours when I could have avoided a struggle to reach the airport on such a weather condition.

I wouldnt blame this airline for making such tall claims.I am sure that any passenger in India who flies any airline ( low cost,business whatever) can vouch that our flights never take off on time.Every airline claims themself to be the best.But what makes me furious is how blatantly this airlines make such false claims?

I have now decided to bet on technology.No No..dont mistake me that I will use technology to find which airlines is best.I would rather use a video conference or a mobile phone ( wherever possible) than undertake an ordeal such as this.

Let them fight for air supremacy.I am happy to be grounded!!!



No comments: