Sunday, February 22, 2009

Indian connection to Oscars 2009

I am not going ga ga over the 8 Oscars won by the “Slumdog Millionaire”,the movie shot in India and which has apparently taken the Indian supremacy to the realm of entertainment.This article is a take on something entirely different.

Let me try to introduce the subject by giving a brief background.
If you are a regular reader of my posts ( which I know is just a handful),I had written a post on my friend.Yeah,the friend whom you might misunderstand to be an “Alien”.
While discussing the reputation of a B School that the person enquired with me,I replied that I have heard that the project reports and question papers for exams are available if you can shell out the money.The person replied that given a chance that person would lap it up as that person does not believe that honest people exists thesedays.If everyone can do that,why not me.As I mentioned earlier ,my friend is a epitome of innocence and I found that quote ridiculous,if not frustrating.
Flash back to 2003.I had given CAT 2003 ( the first attempt) and came out with a glowing confidence that I have done well.I had put into practice everything my coaching centre had taught me and I was confident of cracking the most difficult exam in the world.Only to know that my happiness was short lived.On reaching home,my roommate enquired how the test went.And I said perfectly fine.And he uttered what I didn’t want to hear.He said,no my dear friend,you wont get a call.Cos the papers were leaked and CAT has been cancelled.The frustration is still within me.

The above mentioned “Phenomena” is nothing new in India.Here exam papers are leaked .Probe results are leaked even before they are submitted to the relevant authorities.Movie prints are leaked before they are released in theatres.Important cabinet decisions are leaked to the press even before the cabinet meetings are over.

The author is convinced that the Western world has started copying everything from India blindly.( The author was thinking it was limited to copying things like Yoga and Ayurveda and trying to patent Basmati Rice).How else can you explain the leakage of the list of Oscar winners ( The media is now saying it was a hoax but the leaked list has got 33% right).Way to go India.The world is looking forward to you for guidance.

( Category,Winner as per leaked list,Actual winner)
Actor in a leading role: Mickey Rourke. Sean Penn
Actor in a supporting role: Heath Ledger ,Heath Ledger
Actress in a leading role: Kate Winslet, Kate Winslet
Actress in a supporting role: Amy Adams , Penelope Cruz
Animated Feature Film: Wall-E, Wall-E
Art Direction: The Dark Knight ,Benjamin Button
Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire, Slumdog Millionaire
Costume Design: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ,Duchess
Directing: Slumdog Millionaire, Slumdog Millionaire
Documentary feature: Man on Wire, The Betrayal
Documentary short: The Conscience of Nhem En ,Smile Pinki
Film editing: Milk, Slumdog Millionaire
Foreign language film: Departures, Departures
Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ,Benjamin Button
Music (Score): Defiance ,Slumdog Millionaire
Music (Song): Down to Earth (Wall-E) ,Jai Ho ( Slumdog Millionaire)
Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire, Slumdog Millionaire
Short film (animated): Presto ,La Maison en
Short film (live action): Auf Der Strecke (On The Line) ,Spielzeuglant ( Toyland)
Sound editing: Wall-E, Dark Knight
Sound mixing: The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire
Visual effects: Iron Man, Benjamin Button
Writing (Adapted screenplay): The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire
Writing (Original screenplay): In Bruges, Milk

No comments: