Friday, February 20, 2009

It happens only in India...

India is truly a land of wonders..And though I have been in this country for a little less than 3 decades, I have got to see many places only in the last 6 years (the rest of the time being spent in exploring half of my home state).But like every foreign person now harping about the country, let me too repeat. This country never ceases to surprise you. And to embarrass you and at times frustrate you.

Let me share a few of my recent experiences.

Note: Most of you might ask, what’s new in this; it has always been happening. But for me it’s new and fresh and that’s why I am excited to write about this.
Every management guru and books will talk about stretching our resources and trying to achieve more than what we think we can. A quick look at how we Indians do it.

My first train journey in North India. Slightly nervous, but nevertheless excited, I took my rickshaw to New Delhi Railway Station to board the ShivGanga Express to Banaras.
The railway budget was presented in the Parliament that day morning. The honorable Railway Minister had presented the report card, how Railways made huge profits and grew from Elephant to Cheetah and blah blah.
The Railway Station did present a different picture though. Shabby, Unkempt, Dirty.I don’t know what metaphors to use.I boarded the compartment along with my friend. And when we went to our reserved berth, there were already 6 people sitting there. And another 4 on the side berth. But they didn’t mind giving us some space to sit. Oh My God, how courteous of them right?After taking our seat and making us comfortable, we asked one of them, which is your berth? And he pointed to the upper one. Ok.we asked the next one, which is your berth?And he with an unpleasant look on his face says, I am with this guy! I wonder if this is what we read in newspapers about Seat Sharing arrangement?

The foreigner from Austria was surprised.12 people sitting in seats reserved for 8?Yes my dear friend, It happens only in India. Yes we utilize our resources the best we can.

Banaras Railway Station:
We thought of taking a retiring room at the station to freshen ourself. After all it’s the sacred city of Kashi and we should be clean. When we reached the counter, we were told that there are no rooms and we could use the common dormitory. We pressed for an individual A/C room. With sarcasm writ large on his face, he said no rooms available.

Up comes an Rs 100 note from my friend’s pocket and prompt comes the question.you want the room for just to freshen up right? We nodded our head and lo, the unavailable room opens up. There was even a boy send with us to clean up the room before we occupied it.
God, in Thy holy land, everything is available if you have the power to buy it.

It was noon. I was hungry. I hadn’t had my breakfast (not that I regularly have my breakfast though)…but for a day my friend (who is familiar with Banaras) has been telling me stories about the famous Kachori of Banaras available at the ghat along the holy river Ganga.I didn’t want to spoil my appetite and wanted to fully savour the delicious Kachori. And then I was also eager to have a dip in the Ganga and cleanse myself of all mortal sins. Isnt that every Hindu worth his name wishes to do?
Let me remind you, I don’t carry too much sins with me. Don’t think that am too pious or so. It is just that I had cleansed myself (again in this holy river) at Haridwar 2 years back.
But I was mistaken. Who told that you need to take a dip in the river to cleanse yourself of your sins? Even a look into the river is enough to do that. I should admit that being anywhere near that river is a strong test for your nasal senses. If you cant smell it a kilometer away, be assured, you need to meet your ENT.

Yes, it happens only in India. The river Ganga, which in Mahabharata is referred to as Ganga Maa or Mai, a part of our rich tradition, considered sacred and purifying, can be treated so badly only in India.The entire banks is full of shit ( literally and metamorphically).A cow ( a holy cow?) was standing on this muddle and throwing this yuck at itself.( was it because the Ganga had less water and more yuck that the animal mistook it for a holy river of yuck and took bath in dirt?)


Till I explore new places in this vast country and share my experiences with you, I can only make one remark.
And yeah, the famous Kachori shop was not open that day. I do not know if he had an appointment with his ENT.

Mera Bharat Mahaan.!!!

No comments: