Monday, February 16, 2009

Life In a Metro

Now come on,am not reviewing a movie that was released long time back and faded into oblivion.
This is just a small peep into the lifeline of millions of delhites..My Metro,the Delhi Metro.
I have seen many writers harping on the fact that they can come across inspiration to write from anywhere.And though I been travelling in the metro for around 2 months,it had to be this combination of events that made me seriously give it a thought.

The noise created around the valentine day celebration was very much fresh.And I was travelling in the metro at peak time from Barakhamba to Dwarka.The train reached Rajiv Chowk,the busiest stop of the metro.By then the train was full and not much space to step in.
And lo,I could see a guy ( whom I assume was a Ram Sena activist) protecting Indian culture.He not only managed to find space for himself just by the door,he protected his girlfriend ( a indian nari) in the coziness of his arms.Now frequent kisses on the girls cheeks is not a huge price to pay for protecting you in a crowded train is it?Now dont talk about love in public places and stuff ok..why cant people consider that he was doing his duty by protecting a lady in the maddening crowd where there was hardly any space to stand?How could anyone disagree the (pretty) girl right in front of me ,who commented,this is how the wise people spend their time in a metro?

The metro is a sample of the vast universe i.e Delhi.You find people of all types,professions and gender in the metro.From school going kids ( not sure if everyone goes to school,i seen school couples bunking school and going to roam around , the crowded metro setting a perfect vehicle to vanish without being noticed)..to teenagers going for outing,to office going people,workers,street circus people and even beggars board the metro.

The Delhi Metro is also a source of learning and knowledge.I know a lil bit about knitting that i learned by observing the aunty next to me do it.I do get to read certain articles in the morning newspaper without having to buy one ( by the numerous people who stand in front of me and read the paper).I learned about vehicle insurance from one guy who was referring the manual.I learned about the latest in ladies fashion observing the beautiful girls who board the metro daily.

I remember the first time I boarded the metro during non peak time.I remarked to Alok how boring it was to spend the 45 minutes in the train.Now I vouch for the metro.45 minutes just whizzes past me given the vast options that I have to keep myself occupied. I have rediscovered my old lost hobby and habit of Reading.Now i religiously carry my books along and get more than a hours reading in my daily routine.
Did anyone wonder why every mobile worth the name has a FM radio in it?Check the Delhi Metro.Everyone who carries a mobile in the metro would have had his headphones firmly in their ears.Marconi must be happy in his grave seeing his modest invention entertaining lakhs of Delhites in the metro through the 11 odd FM stations.

Delhi Metro...my Metro..tujhe salaam

No comments: